Wednesday 2 July 2014

An Idiot Guide for A Woman Solo Traveller

Hey!

Its 11.33 pm in India. My eyes are as usual, hard to sleep, so I decided to write here. This is to mark that by next week, at this time, I will be in my midnight flight, catching Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, from Bangalore. So, the writing tonight is about a journey, a travel, done by a woman, who travels alone, or, as Tripadvisor term called as SOLO.

Thats exactly me. I enjoyed travelling solo in most of my journey in India. Truly, I hve no fear of travelling by my own. I usually do it in order to listen to the INNER ME. Its easier to listen to the deepest voice in you, when u are all alone, travelling to a new place. Why? Because, if u stay where u are right now, u will have friends, people who knows u, right? So even if u stay alone like me, there still people who greets u in your neighbourhood. But, when u travel, solo, u will be all alone, and no one will know or greet u, this is when, u can listen to your inner piece. Thats what i do. Travelling solo.

Hmm..so far, I travelled to Tamil Nadu, and Kerala mostly. This is because these two states are the closest to Mysore and it has incredible view. I spent my birthday in 2012 in a waterfall in Kerala hairpin, and the second birthday in 2013, in a tiger reservation in Tamil Nadu. And, i of course travel solo. Like what i will be doing again, this time, next week.

As a woman, of course its not simple to travel solo. We have so many things to be prepared and to be awared in our journey. So, here are some tips or guide or whatever u name it, i call it as IDIOT GUIDE for a solo traveller woman. Here are some idiot tips from me.

One, place to stay
The first thing is, make sure that u have a place to stay in that new destination. This is what I do in every solo journey i took. I browse net, find some budget hotels, contact the manager by email, and finish the deal. Make sure that the room is reserved two or three days before the journey. Believe me, it is empowering to plan everything by yourself. Woman is a detail creature and to be able to plan and arrange it by yourself really give u a feeling that u can conquer the world.

Two, transportation
Plan how u will travel. If it is a bus or train, be ready of contact with new person. Of course, u may find good or bad person along the way. Come on, this is the adventure. It is deliberating u know. U will set your soul free, as woman is designed to have whatsoever COMFORT ZONE. When u travel solo, u crawl outside your comfort zone, and it is so much free inside. U are ready for any possibilities. It maybe good, it maybe bad, but its adventure. I suggest dont use a private rent car, come on, this is a journey, not a celebrity tour, so be casual, take a public transport, and enjoy the adrenalline!

Three, woman power!
Find other woman in your journey. Not man, ok. As I try to find seat in bus or train, i will try to find a woman with child, or a girl at my age, or even younger. DO NOT SIT BESIDE A MAN. Avoid it as much as u can, even how interesting that chance may be. Remember, we are travelling solo, dont invite crime, as we may not be strong enough to overcome it. Try to bond with other woman, that u just met along the way, make friends, smile, start a nice conversation. I always find a good friend along my way, even if she is only a small girl. Be light, dont be arrogant, try to bond with them. If u are a foreigner like me, its best to be bind with the local woman, as they will help u with language barrier.

Four, good music, good book
This is IMPORTANT. In case u can not find a good friend in your journey, be sure u hve a nice music to listen to, or a good book to read. I found my tab is the best i ever had. If i couldnt find anyone nice enough to bind with, i will just turn on my tab either for music, books, or just typing in blog like what i am doing now. It will give u some relaxing moment and u can dig into your deepest side. Many times, your best side comes when u are all alone.

Five, WEDDING RING
Haha, sounds funny, but it is so much necessary when u travel solo. Leave one ring in your finger, so it shows that u are not single, even if u are. This ring maybe the first block that will protect u from those bad men outside. By wearing this, they may think that u travel with your husband or fiancee, that will make them hesitate to approach u. Well, unless u travel solo to find a potential man, hmm, for that reason, i cant argue u. But, just remember that, its hard to find such a good man in a journey, so just put one ring there, and if a good man may approach to u, and u are sure he is good, u can always explain the fake wedding ring u are wearing ;-).
I had experience on this. When i walked alone in chinatown, Kuala Lumpur, i was followed by one man. Even i showed that ring he still followed me to know where my hotel is. I suddenly grabbed a tourist from Irlandia, a man, and pretended that he was my partner. Lucky, that man was also a good actor, and he pretended that we were together, until that man gone. So, be alert, ladies, always be aware of the potential danger that may come up in your journey.

Six, TRIPADVISOR
Yes, if u love travelling, its better to have an account in this site. I am now a senior contributor there and has many readers already. Being in tripadvisor will allow u to be in contact with other travellers and get the best tips. Moreover, like me, i can always promote myself to the hotel manager that if they give me a good sevice, i will write a nice review in tripadvisor. And guess what? I got so many discount by this action. The manager usually aware of the importance of this site and as i finished travelling, i will write there then invite the manager to my piece. Thats what i call as...the power of a writer!

Seven, DO NOT SHARE PRIVATE THING
Even if u need to make friends along the way, be alert not to share something private such as where your hotel is, or whether u travel solo or with partner. Even if u are talking to a woman. Remember, bad things may happen anywhere. So, even if u need to share a taxi to hotel for example, DO NOT STOP IN FRONT OF YOUR HOTEL. Find a public place near your hotel and stop there. Dont let the stranger know where u stay. Remember, u are a woman, and alone, so u should be aware of anything. Be friendly is ok, but be safe at the same time.

Eight, YOU
Yes, u. Enjoy yourself along the journey. It is time to have intimate quality time with yourself. Make a selfie pose by your mobile, shake your body a little as u listen to a good music by your earphone, the point is, enjoy yourself. Is it lonely? I found its not. I am telling u, in these two years, i spent my whole journey with no one but ME. Tired? Yes, sometimes with lugage and all. Boring? Hmm, not really, as i am easy to laugh, even with my own silly action. I found solo travelling is empowering. I found that i am more confident with myself after i travel solo. And for me, i will not stop travelling all by myself. Its fun, enjoyable and most of all, it sets my deepest soul to be free. Free as a bird who flies happily to the sky.

So, are u ready to explore yourself? No need friend, no need man, just u, yourself, is enough. Try it. Be the solo traveller. It is empowering, deliberating. Believe me, it is!

Mysore, 03.07.14

From a solo traveller woman who is...
Still in India.

No comments:

Post a Comment