Friday 6 June 2014

Thank God Its Friday (T.G.I.F)

Hey there!

Friday, it is! Time for welcoming the weekend. Different than in India, Friday is considered as the last working day in my country, Indonesia. Well, not for all, of course, public school opens on Saturday, however as I teach in University, Saturday is considered as off day for us, lecturers.

I think Friday is also considered as the last working day in many countries in the world. At least, i can compare the Friday ambience, between four countries, i.e, Indonesia, India, Malaysia and Singapore.

In Indonesia, usually Friday is considered as THE SHORT DAY. We stop working at 12 as the prayer jumah is coming in every corners. I really miss that condition, as in India, being a muslim is not as festive as in Indonesia. My class in university stops at 11.30 pm, and every man will go to Masjid for Juma Prayer. Some offices will open again after juma prayer, but my class in university usually off and i can enjoy my early coming weekend. :-)
The same thing i found in Malaysia, as it is the CONNECTING COUNTRY between India and Indonesia. In Malaysia, i found one masjid near my hotel cooks special food and shares to jamaah. Friday is also considered as sacred day when people collectively going for Jumah Prayer to masjid. There is not much difference between Malaysia and Indonesia.

In India, as i can feel, Friday is not too special here. It is definitely not the last working day in the week, and also the Jumah Prayer is not too festive here. I am lucky now i stay near a masjid, so minimum i can heal my miss of Friday atmosphere in my country. I can see some men going for prayer. I can hear the adzaan. So, it feels a bit like home. A bit, not much of course. Here i observe too, people are not too eager of welcoming weekend. Unlike in Indonesia, we will plan something to spend quality time during weekened. Either it is a vacation, dine out, swimming, stay in a hotel outside our hometown, u name it, we have special activity during weekend. And we plan it. Unlike in India, where people are just so-so in welcoming the weekend.

In Singapore, even i have never been there, but based on the story of my students whom are living there for three years, Singapore starts its weekend celebration on Friday evening. People are coming to streets, having dinner, or going for shopping. Strangely, on. Saturday morning, people spend their time by sleeping. So, the streets are quiet during Saturday. Life starts to crawl again on Saturday evening, when people start enjoying weekend part two. Singapore has less muslims compared to Malaysia and Indonesia, so the tradition of going for Juma prayer is not too common. Probably, the ambience is almost same as it is in India.

For me, my favorite of Friday is that it is the end of my work day, and even if Saturday i work, it is usually i call as LEISURE WORK. I usually teach outside my city to get extra income during the weekend. I also love the fact that Friday is a short day in my country. And...the perfume smell of some men going for Juma prayer in mosque :-). As it is sunna to use some of the fragrances to go for Juma pray, and, i will be the one who enjoys it.

And...whats for the weekend? For me, I do some leisure thing even when I am not in my country. Weekend is just too tempting to be passed. Here are some common things I do in weekend in India.
One, watch FRIENDS
Its an American serial, my favorite one. I usually cook what I love, make a hot milk, and sit by my laptop to watch it. I ignore all the assignments during this time. I do know how to embrace time by myself.
Two, have a late hot bath
I love it! Every weekend, i take a late bath, like almost my bedtime. I will do the whole favorite things then prepare hot water for bath. Its soo relaxing. After that, i will directly go to my bed and sleep. Hot milk, friends serial, and a rekaxing hot bath, what can i say? Its heaven!
Three, music
Yup, i love music A LOT! In weekend, i will listen happy music and dance by my own in the beginning and then have a slow relaxing one afterwards. Its soo much fun.
Four, park
Sometimes i can also go outside to enjoy the surrounding. And park is my favorite. And Mysore has many parks that i do love to hang out by myself. Alone? Yup, there is nothing more interesting than to be with my own.

Well, this will be my last Friday in India, people. Next week, at this time I will be between Malaysia and Indonesia. It is a farewell writing to India, as it will be my last post of Friday in India. Sad, as it is, but this is life. It should move forward, not stuck or going backward. So, I thank God its Friday. I thank God I have the most wonderful Friday along my two years in India. I thank God of YOU, who read my last post of Friday in India.

Lets celebrate weekend, people. Whats your plan this weekend? Whatever it is, we should say out loud, THANK GOD ITS FRIDAY!

Last friday post in India.

Mysore, 04.07.2014

Nurul Kasyfita

No comments:

Post a Comment